You must obtain CNA licensure from your state to work as a certified nursing assistant and a certification exam must be cleared for the same. One of the two papers for the certification is the clinical test and to perfect the craft you must take as many CNA skills practice test as possible.
In order to clear the exam you must clear both the papers and in most states, if you fail the exam three consecutive times you have to undergo re-training before applying for certification. It has also been noticed that most of the applicants clear the theory paper but fail in the practical paper. It is thus important that you carry out extensive CNA skills review which can be done in CNA practice skills test.
You will attempt preparatory tests after you finish with your training, below are some tips to help you take the CNA skills practice test:
- While at training you are taught many clinical tasks out of these you have to perform five during the clinical test which are randomly picked by the examiner; you must have made a CNA skills check list during the training. Go through that checklist thoroughly; if you want you can even memorize it. Try to remember the minute details of all the procedures by reviewing the study material time and again.
- Get a partner; a friend or a co-student who can support you in the preparatory test. A co-student would be the ideal as a partner because he would be well aware of all the skills and the procedures, so he can evaluate your performance. You can be his partner when he does a preparatory test and you can review his performance and get more understanding about improving your performance
- Treat a preparatory test as good as the final test and perform each task with focus, as you would do while assisting a patient. Don’t fool around because you are practicing and the patient is not actually a patient but a co-student, this will ensure a good CNA skills practice test.
- Greet the patient even if it is not a real test because you need to develop this habit not just for the test but also for the practicing as a CNA; courtesy in any profession is essential. Introduce yourself, ask for the patients name and address the patient accordingly. Do this for every task and explain the patient what you are going to do.
- Even if it is an exercise follow the basics. Wash your hands before every procedure because in a healthcare profession hygiene should be maintained to control infection. Use gloves wherever necessary and sanitize the equipments properly and store them as they are meant to be.
- Evaluating each other by cross checking the list is difficult, a third person will be handy. Hand over the check list to the third person and ask him to read the tasks one after other as you perform them. He can mark on the steps you missed to do and this will provide for a better evaluation.
- After completing the entire list of tasks check the evaluation sheet and make a note of the steps you missed out on. Try and reharse those tasks where you missed out by reading them and make a mental note of them.
- There are many videos available online which you can watch; the skills are performed by experts in these videos. You can check for improvisations and make changes in your notes. Watch these videos before taking the preparatory test so that you can perform more efficiently in the test.
- After you are done with the preparatory test check with the time of your instructor; perform another practice test in front of the instructor. He/ She will be the best person to evaluate your clinical skills as the training was given by him/ her. Check for the grades the instructor would give you on each of the tasks as this would prove to be a perfect understanding about your preparation on the CNA skills.
- After the instructors test take another preparatory test with your partner of the first test or any other co-student along with the third person for evaluation. You may think that this is too much preparation, but it is worth it because after three tests you will have mastered the craft and you will be completely accustomed to all of them and will be ready for the CNA clinical tests for the certification and will clear the test in the first attempt.
Apart from the practice skills test, make sure that you thoroughly study for your theory paper and give as many preparatory tests as possible so that you can clear both papers and get your CNA Certification. There are certain skills that examiners frequently ask to perform research for those tasks and master them. Similarly check the FAQs of the theory paper and prepare well to answer them.
Two days before the exams sleep well at night, relax and refresh; this will help you to go for the exam in a good mindset and you will be more focused and will easily clear the papers. CNA skills practice tests are very helpful to perfect each of the tasks and you will become a very professional certified nursing assistant, someone who will take care of the smallest of requirements of the patients you will serve.