Along with the CNA training from an accredited training institute, it is also advisable to go through the study materials that contain information about all the aspects of a certified nursing assistant. They contain all the general and in-depth information about every essential topic in nursing. Since books are written by subject experts and scholars, they are more reliable than any other source.
CNA training comprises of all the medical terminologies that may sound new and strange to hear. It includes different medical procedures, diseases and several prevention methods to avoid the occurrence of diseases. Though the instructors at the training institute explain these concepts and demonstrate few of them in the practical sessions, it is always good to be acquainted with additional information that is only available in the CNA books.
Useful Tips on CNA Books
An accredited course program comprises of a course work involving the classroom learning as well as clinical skills practice. The course content is set by the national nursing authorities and contains both the aspects of nursing viz. theory and practical. The course material can be in any form such as text books or handouts. The text books are available in a large number, but the students have to search for the best ones which would cover all the desired topics in the best illustrated manner. Good reference books definitely facilitate learning and help one in the best way for the exam preparation. They provide with all the related concepts in nursing that can be reviewed in a short time just before the exam. Here are a few tips for how to find CNA books –
- One must check the name of the author of the text book, as there are many books available in the market. The author should be renowned in the field of nursing.
- The students must search for the top 10 authors’ list or books’ list from the facility that offers the classes for CNA.
- These recommended books should be bought, as it is a critical requirement for the examination.
- One must go through the books to find out if the content given in the book is illustrative enough or not.
- All the topics included in the course syllabus must be covered in the book. The description should be thorough and not superficial.
- The theoretical aspects of each and every practice in nursing should be explained in the book.
- A diagram is worth thousand words! As this is very true in case of educational concepts, the books must include as many diagrams as possible for the explanation of the line of treatment in the health care settings, hierarchy of the tasks of a CNA during job duties, clinical skills representation, etc.
- Even the flow charts can describe a concept easily which is rather difficult to explain through an entire paragraph.
Pictures or Photo Plates
- Pictures are the most interesting part of the books. Even while studying the nursing concepts for becoming a certified nurse aide, use of pictures or photographic plates in the text book prove to be very much useful for the students.
- They enable the students to visualize the clinical skills or manual tasks without going to a living health care setting.
- Sometimes, a task seems to be very easy while reading, but it is relatively complicated to actually perform it. Thus, instead of just reading; a picture or a photograph in which a nurse aide is shown to be performing the same task can prove to be useful to get an idea about how to perform it.
- In short, the students should look for a book in which such pictorial representations are available so that they can visualize whatever is being read and taught.
Important Topics and Skills
- It is always better if special guidance on the most important technical topics and clinical skills is provided within the last few chapters in the book.
- This kind of guidance helps the students to focus on major topics from the exam point of view and then implement the same skills during their professional practice.
- Summary of the chapters after completion of every lesson is also a good way to highlight the essential points
How to Search the Best CNA Book
- Ask your instructor at the training institute to provide the list of books that prove to be useful to prepare for the CNA exams
- Internet is also a good source for gaining information
- Ask your friends or senior nursing assistants working in medical organizations
- Visit the libraries at your local area or at the community college that provides you training
- Purchase of a CNA book will provide you reference lists for other books along with the publisher and author name at the end of it and it will prove to be a great source of information.
These CNA books are not only useful during the training and certification examination, but also throughout the career. It can prove to be an excellent foundation for further studies and career growth.
You May Also Like: